These things are truly yummy. Like, this is addiction level yummy. It’s different, while being easy and familiar. It’s comfort food for people for whom comfort is sometimes uncomfortable. Don’t freak out man, this is easy. And yes, I know yams and sweet potatoes are not the same thing, but I couldn’t think of a catchy blog title involving sweet potatoes and they’re pretty similar. It is what it is.
So, you’re going to get some yams, cut em into little chips, and
just fry ’em up in some olive oil.
You fry them a nice golden, even kind of dark color. You need to be able to stick the fork in easily – always the consistency of a banana – pretty close to a regular potato. They look almost as good as they taste. Take them out of the oil, let them cool just a bit and sprinklle on top these ingredients, in this order:
- Salt. You want that salt to sink in.
- Coconut Sugar. I imagine any decent variety of sugar will do, but I only have coconut.
- Cayenne Pepper, to taste.
- Cocoa Powder. I recommend being generous with this one. It gives these things a bit of an Earthy, nutty feel, and the cocoa powder mixes with the sugar to candy-up an already sweet food we get from nature.
- As a final step, I threw on some cilanto. The cilantro gave the whole thing an added kick, a kind of natural, zesty enterprise to go along with the whole experience.
Seriously, take some time and make this. It’s crazy.